1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Cameras Without Mirrors! Read the welcome message here!

Backpack for Travel / Hiking

Discussion in 'Other Photography Equipment' started by Matt C, May 24, 2018.

1. Matt C

Matt C Active Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    Sony a6300 w/Sony 18-105 F4 G, Sony 50mm f1.8
    Am I the only one that owns various camera bags but isn't happy with any of them for all situations? I currently own a ThinkTank Perception 15. Its a great laptop / camera backpack for traveling light. It suspends the camera and a lens or two while allowing some room for other needs.

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone this summer and I noticed that this bag is too small for a longer day trip or hike. It does not have much room to store other items (like if I take a jacket off, or pickup a souvenir, water bottle, tripod). I'm looking back at the Peak Everyday Backpack and a few others. Does anyone here have experience with this bag or other backpack bags for hiking and travel?

My goal is to carry the following:
    - Sony A6300
    - 18-105 f4 Lens
    - 1-3 prime lenses (small)
    - Tripod (need to buy one and may start another thread for that)
    - Storage area (jacket, water, etc)

Anyone use a nice backpack they recommend? I do need it to be a backpack since the sling carry bags wreck havoc on my back.

Thanks,
    Matt

Chucktin likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    EM1MK11,Nikon V2,E-M10MK11
    The only thing i would say is store water outside the bag or underneath your camera gear.
    I don't use any of my bags outside the house or car boot now as i cant carry them full of gear so its camera and one lens for me

3. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T3, X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 J5
    Might be worth looking at the Mindshift line which appears to be geared for hiking (pun intended). I haven't used them myself. Other option is to use something from the Tamrac BYOB line with a traditional backpack.

4. Chucktin

Chucktin New Member

I feel your pain!

My 0.02 cents worth:
    Don't carry a Notebook computer into the field. Using one for a better image display is a holy Grail but impractical, I'm using an 8" tablet (almost too big) and sunlight washes out the screen.
    Do carry something to sit on. A folding aluminium tube seat or a 3 legged stool, I have both.
    I'll second the water bottle in an outside pocket. Water and camera equipment is not "on".
    There are any number of 30 liter day packs that will work. Someday I hope to find the ideal one. In the meantime I'd suggest a cheapo from Wally world with the brightest interior color you can stand. Black on black and you will loose someting, guarenteed. Interior partitions can be made with a cut up Yoga mat (steal from wife?).
    Get a rain cover, a trash can liner will work.
    And add a 4x6 piece of plastic sheet to go under your pack when you set it down. And you will set it down.

crashton and Eduard like this.