1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Cameras Without Mirrors! Read the welcome message here!

BIF Settings for Fuji X-T2 using the XF100-400mm

Discussion in 'Fujifilm' started by Eduard, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 V3 & J5
    As I've posted elsewhere, Laurie and I are joining some of our cousins at Nikonites for a two-day Meet and Greet in Florida next month. I've rented the Fuji XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR lens and battery grip for the event. We will be shooting at the Circle B Bar Reserve near Lakeland, Florida. I expect that a fair amount of the shooting will be Birds in Flight which I haven't really done before.

I noticed some amazing BIF images captured by Trevor Kloeden on DPReview using an X-T2 and the XF 100-400mm. I reached out to him and asked him how he setup his camera and any other suggestions. He very graciously sent me a detailed response and allowed me to share it. I can't wait to try it out!

Hi Ed

Happy to share my settings with you. The XT2 + 100-400mm is one awesome setup. I switched over from Nikon some years ago and have never regretted it.

Stationary Birds:
    Metering is set to “Centre-weighted”.
    ISO is set to “Auto”
    F stop is usually round F8.0 (Sweet spot).
    Shutter speed any where from 1/125 - 1000 sec (Depending on the available light).
    Focus set to “AF-S”
    AF mode “Single Point”.
    Shutter set to “S” or “CL” depending on how nervous the animals are.
    On the lens focus set to “5m - Infinity” and aperture set to manual (F8.0 ish) and OIS “On”.
    The OIS on this lens is awesome and you can shoot right down to 1/60 sec with a steady hand.

Birds In Flight:
    A real challenge on any system.
    As above but with OIS “Off”.
    Focus set to “AF-C - Custom setting 5 (Erratically Moving & Accel / Decel Subjects”.
    AF mode “Zone”.
    Shutter speed 1,1000 sec.

Other tips:
    I also have on AF + MF switched on. See page 142 of the manual.
    This enables you to manual focus the lens with the shutter pressed half way.
    Works well when the camera chooses a different focus point than what you want. Just hold the shutter half pressed and rotate the front focus ring to fine tune your focus. I have the RED focus peaking on so makes it easy to see what is in focus.
    I shoot both RAW and JPG together. I use Capture Pro One V10 for all my editing (Mostly RAW files). This program works extremely well with Fuji files (RAW & JPG).

Just be aware of what you are focusing on especially if you are within 10m of your subject and round the 400mm mark. A focus on the bird body may make the face out of focus. As you get further away DF not such an issue.

I don’t have the grip and have no intention of getting it. The XT2 is fast enough for what I do.

I do have the 1.4TC and do use it at times when I know the shots will be long. Works with the same settings above. IQ is still awesome with the TC and focus works fine.

I also use a Monopod at times. Especially with the 1.4TC. Also helps carrying the setup on a long days shoot.

Hope that helps some what as it works for me. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Happy snapping.

Cheers

TrevorK

Mike and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II
    Trevor Kloeden seems to be a nice guy. Thanks for sharing this Ed, is very useful

3. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 V3 & J5
    Another BIF article detailing settings using the X-T2 and 100-400mm was posted on Photography Life. Link here.