1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacPhun's Luminar Neptune

Discussion in 'Computers & Software' started by Eduard, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 V3 & J5
    I've recently been playing around trying to create a stripped down travel post processing setup. The intent is to not weigh myself down with a large powerful computer (I have an amazing 15" loaded MacBook Pro) while traveling for work as well as simplifying my workflow.

From a hardware perspective, I toyed around with the idea of a tablet. I considered an iPad Pro and a Microsoft Surface. The potential to utilize a pen is intriguing, but I ultimately I didn't want to get too far away from Lightroom. I looked at numerous Ultrabooks, but really didn't want to use Windows. I ultimately settled on a 11" MacBook Air as my second computer.

In keeping with the small and light is beautiful theme, I decided to only load Lightroom and not Photoshop. As good as LR is, there are times when you want/need a little more power. I had an unused license for Luminar, so I decided to see if it function as a bridge between my portable and main system. I'm still learning the interface, but so far, it is going pretty well.

Here is a shot I recently took from my hotel window while in the Chicago suburbs. I'm approximately 20 miles from the skyline. Original processing in Lightroom, exported to Luminar for final tweaks, automatically reimported to Lightroom, then exported while adding the frame and watermark.

Chicago Skyline June 2017.jpg
    Date: 2017:06:24 14:21:28 - Manufacturer: Fujifilm - Model: X-T20 - Focallength: 122.6 mm - Measurement: Spot - Aperture: 5.6 - ISO: 400 - Exposuretime: 1/1250 sec - Flash: No Flash

Mike and Michael like this.
  2. Matt C

Matt C Active Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    Sony a6300 w/Sony 18-105 F4 G, Sony 50mm f1.8
    I also just purchased Luminar and find its filters and pre-sets to work pretty well. For travel though, I just bought Affinity Photo for the iPad and its pretty impressive too. I can do photoshop level editing on my iPad Air 2 with minimum lag / delay / processing time. Its impressive for sure the power being put into portable computers for photo editing.

Photo above looks great!

Eduard likes this.