1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Cameras Without Mirrors! Read the welcome message here!
  3. Which new mirrorless camera poll?!?! Enter here!
    Dismiss Notice

The end of the Nikon 1 camera

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Paul04, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Paul04

Paul04 Well-Known Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T20
  2. Mike

Mike Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    EM1MK11,Nikon V2,E-M10MK11
    Sad but it may as well end as Nikon did not keep moving it forward.

3. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 J5
    I've been close to selling my Nikon 1 gear as I'm just not using it. This is probably the tipping point. Sad day.

4. Nikonphotographer

Nikonphotographer New Member

Experience:
    Pro
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    A few months ago I was off to Majorca, I had planned on taking my D7000 and a selection of lenses, plus my faithful Coolpix P7100, all inside my Tenba Roller compact,that little lot weighed in a 10kg, luckily my hand luggage limit was 10kg, so I wouldn't be over the limit, but then i was asking myself did I really wanted to lug around 10kg on holiday, the answer was no, I could have just taken my P7100 with me, like I have on previous trips, last time i took it in a trip was to Ibiza the year before, however i just wasn't happy with the results when I came to print them out on A4 photo paper, so I wanted something with a larger sensor, I'd been reading about the 1 system, and although Nikon had given up on it, others were sticking with it.
    So I ended up buying a very good condition V1 from a camera store with a 3 month warranty, one thing that sealed the deal was the V1, like all my other cameras could be set to save the image as a Raw file, which i always use, I also bought the 30-110, all I can say is I'm glad I bought the little V1, the images i got from this little camera were just superb, I've printed out some of the images i took in Majorca on the same photo paper i used for the photos i printed out from the P7100, the images are like chalk and cheese.

Another job of mine is writing articles for a plastic model magazine, apart from reviewing models, I also have to build them, write a build up article and also take the photos throughout the build, I had been using my smartphone for this, but I've just got hold of S1, with a shutter count of just over 300, the 11-27.5 lens that come with it is as sharp as the 10-30, I just added a J1 as a back-up to keep in the same bag as the V1.

It really is a shame Nikon gave up on the 1 system, I'm sold on it, before my next overseas trip, I'll be tracking down a 6.7-13mm lens.

#4 Nikonphotographer, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  5. Mike

Mike Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    Yes
    Camera(s):
    EM1MK11,Nikon V2,E-M10MK11
    Welcome to the forum Geoff,many are sad at the demise of the 1 series it filled a gap in the market.

6. Eduard

Eduard Administrator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji X-T2 & X-T20; Nikon 1 J5
    It is sad. I always hoped that the J5 sensor would get put into a V-series body.

R Mills likes this.
  7. R Mills

R Mills Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Experience:
    SemiPro
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Oympus EM5 MKII
    I really liked the system, amazing results from a 1" sensor. The fx 70-200 f4 on the V2 was fantastic for wildlife.

Eduard likes this.
  8. crashton

crashton Well-Known Member

Experience:
    Hobbyist
    Image Editing:
    No
    Camera(s):
    Fuji XT-2, Fuji X-E1, Nikon V2,
    Yes it was a sad day that I think we all saw coming. Once the DL was discontinued before its release I figured it wouldn't be long before the final nail was pounded into the N1 coffin. It's a shame Nikon let the 1 series die a slow death. I'll continue to shoot with my V2 for as long as it works.

R Mills and Eduard like this.